Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just when you thought you have the whole motherhood thing down... they change on you!

What is it with this crazy ride? Just when I think- ok, I have the handle on this deal- BAM!! They have changed, moved on to a new, demanding stage! I know, I know- it is a lyrical and magical journey that I must savor since one day they will not allow me to hug them as they drive away in my car loaded with all my best clothes... (actually that does make me tear up a little). The thing is though... I am trying so hard to do the best I can- just like so many of us out there. I am keeping it as organic as I can afford. Reusing clothing and not overconsuming. We compost when we can, grow as much of our own food as possible on an apartment porch and recycle to our utmost. My two and a half year old (as she demands we include the half) is in the midst of becoming a little lady. She's full of opinions, personal timing (as in, no thanks I don't want to do that now, Mother, maybe in a little bit. To which I reply, calmly... NOW NOW NOW! Am I reverting while she matures?) and fashion ideas (But I can wear these pants as a shirt! I really can! Look!). My soon to be eight month old has gone from infant to toddler at warp speed. Last week I was propping her up on a Boppy pillow. This week I am considering wrapping her and my whole apartment in bubble wrap since she now thinks she can cruise! (My chiropractor told me to "discourage" her from walking too early. Whuh???) Just when we got my oldest daughter to sleep in her own room, nightmares began. We got our little one in her own crib and separation anxiety and teething began. Those who swear they do not co-sleep either lock their children in or lie. That's right. YOU LIE.
Ha ha. The universe is hilarious.
I get it. Don't get comfortable. Don't start to establish a routine regardless of what everyone else tells you, books lecture and the SuperNanny insists... (Jo Frost you don't even HAVE children! BLURGH!!!)
I know every bit of sage wisdom experienced mothers pass on is mostly true but still... they are done with this transient thing called motherhood- or are at least through the stage I am in and therefore too smug to be borne... STILL. What other job do you do that never has one job description but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS changes?
I am not of the opinion that you should get paid for being a mother- it IS a choice for most of us, after all. However, if there were some type of holiday pay/ lunch break/ vacation coverage- or even a bathroom break uninterrupted so I don't have to explain menstruation to my two year old- that would be great. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, but remember the golden rule. Comment on others the way you wanted to be commented on. Oh, and BEWARE KARMA.